Living Heritage aims to show the world New Zealand's unique cultural and historical treasures, or taonga, by:
- encouraging the preservation of our heritage for today's and future generations;
- creating and maintaining an online "living" database of original heritage resources;
- motivating students and creating more effective learning and teaching, with the latest information communication technology;
- providing meaningful activities and learning contexts;
- assisting schools and teachers to become confident and successful in using online technology;
- encouraging all New Zealand schools to participate in Living Heritage.