Home-Whanaungatanga

How Tauriko got its name?

The Omanawa mill was built in 1915 by Mr Yeoland.
It was located at the end of Belk Road. It was formed to mill the bush between Omanawa and Oropi. (Tauriko as we know it now was in between that area.)
The Tauranga Rimu Company wanted to call it Taurico but because there is no ‘co’ in the Maori language this was disallowed. They decided to change the ‘co’ to ‘ko’ which makes Tauriko, and that’s what we know it as now!
The name is a contraction. Tau from Tauranga, Ri from Rimu and Ko/Co From Company.
They named the whole area Tauriko!

By Talia

eZ Publish™ copyright © 1999-2017 eZ Systems AS