Home-Our school history

History of Titahi Bay North School

The four rooms in the main block of the school were first used in the third term of 1957 as a side school of Titahi Bay School. These children were those who would attend Titahi Bay North School when it was established as a separate school.

The school opened as Titahi Bay North School in February 1958 with eight classrooms. The school was officially opened in March of that year by the Hon. P. Skoglund, the then Minister of Education. The school families were from state and privately owned homes and the school was a Grade 7. Rooms 11 and 12, plus three relocatables were also in use. This was in the early 1970’s.

In approximately 1977 Room 4 in the main block was converted into a school library, and in 1979 the staff room was enlarged and a phys. ed. store formed. In 1982 the office was enlarged and a new room built at the end of Room 1 and Room 5 was extended to incorporate a small office which had previously been a separate room.

The school’s jubilee was held at Easter 1983.
In 1987 Rooms 11 and 12 were removed from the school.

.

.

 

In 1990 Te Whanau o te Kakano was established. Te Kakano was a total immersion unit where the students were taught in Maori. Te Whanau o te Kakano is still going strong in 2010.

In 1999 the school was granted recapitation by the Minister of Education, Nick Smith. This enabled the school to once again become a full primary and include year 7 and 8 students.

.

.

.

In 2000 a new school hall was built and phys. ed. equipment relocated in one room there, and another room, Room 11, was purchased and installed onsite by the Board of Trustees in order to meet the growing roll.
In 2003 the school was repainted and all classrooms were upgraded.
In 2004 the toilets and cloak bays were upgraded.
In 2005 the staffroom and foyer were upgraded.
In 2006 a new invalid bathroom was built.

.

.

In 2007 a new computer network system was installed and a website set up.
In 2008 we celebrated the school's 50th Jubilee.
In 2009 we had the administration area, Room 5, and the Reading Recovery Room upgraded after a fire.

.

.

.

More information about the history of the Titahi Bay area can be found on the Porirua City Council website

History of Titahi Bay

eZ Publish™ copyright © 1999-2017 eZ Systems AS