This page is all about future plans for Mt Kaukau from Stu Bailey at the Wellington City Council.
Area 3.2 Khandallah/Johnsonville
- Horse Riding along the main ridge will be allowed subject to
- Vehicle access will be confined to management purposes, unless there
are exceptional reasons.
- Key entrance areas will provide access to the outer green belt, but are
also important as community recreation areas for playing, picnicking and
Area 3.1 Old Coach Road
- Complete and adopt the Old Coach Road Conservation plan (confine content
to the management of the heritage values, rather than the wider
- Old Coach Road to be developed and enhanced as a major access point to
the outer green belt.
- There will be a clearly defined walking access to Mt Kaukau.
- Consider closing Old Coach Road (as a legal road, except for any section
needed for actual roading purposes and protecting it as a category one
Area 3.3 Awarua Street Reserves
- Clearly defined areas to be grazed and new fencing
required to achieve this.
- Create a relatively remote part of the outer green belt to provide
outstanding views of the city.
- Protect the ridgeline vegetation south of Kaukau from Darwin's Barberry.
Mt Kaukau ridgeline