lh_logo mosaic

Living Heritage Homepage


The First Bridge

The General Store

The Post Office

Robb's Garage

The Rock

The Church

The Roxburgh Dam

Research Process

Curriculum Links

Our Team




Roxburgh Area School


Roxburgh General Store - The Lair

Roxburgh General Store - The Lair

Roxburgh General Store

The general store was first opened in 1877 by Mr. J Mackay and changed hands several times before being bought by Mr. A G Newland in 1937. During the early years the shop had a wine sellers licence and Cobb and Co coaches were regular callers with cellar stocks. The wine cellars were used as a storage area for items such as cheeses, honey, sauces and drinks. Almost anything that required cool dry storage has been kept in it. When the grocery and hardware shop closed in January 1986, the wine cellar remained. As of today, the 125 year old building (wine cellar included) is still standing in the main street of Roxburgh, and it is now operating as a local youth centre.