lh_logo mosaic

Living Heritage Homepage


The First Bridge

The General Store

The Post Office

Robb's Garage

The Rock

The Church

The Roxburgh Dam

Research Process

Curriculum Links

Our Team




Roxburgh Area School


Post Office

Post Office

The Post Office

In 1913 the old Post Office was pulled down to make room for the new Post Office. The new Post Office was a two storey building with an office. The opening of the new Post Office (it was the seventh Post Office to open) was the first official opening.

Workmen arrived to work on the construction. At the end of 1917, the Post Office/Exchange was opened. The Post Office was also an exchange as it was also used for telephone calls. You had to ask to speak to someone and say where they lived. The girl would plug the cord into a big phone board then it would start ringing. They were very old telephones. People now use fax machines and cordless phones. In 2004, the Post Office is still standing as a monument. It has been used as a house and now a gallery.