The Waianakarua Millhouse

By Ruby & Paula

The Mill House was built as a flour mill.

The Millhouse was built in 1879 by Mr Davidson and Mr Diehl. There was a fire – it had three fires altogether. A river is next to the mill house. They had a water wheel that was next to the mill house because they didn't have power. It stopped being a flour mill in 1939. It was used to grind up chicken food for a while. Now it is a motel and a restaurant. The bridge is by the mill house.

© Copyright Kakanui School 2007