lh_logo: mosaic:

  

 
 

Living Heritage Homepage

Home

Research Process

Our Project

QE II

Avon River

The Chalice

Jade Stadium

Hagley Park

Provincial Chambers

The Cathedral

The Bridal Path

The Bridge of Remembrance

The Brighton Pier

Victoria Park

The Gardens

The Art Gallery

The Arts Centre

Sign of the Takahe

Our Team

Curriculum Links

Credits

 
 


Historical Snapshots of Christchurch

Selwyn House School

Sign of the Takahe

Sign of the Takahe

takahe:


  • The Sign of the Takahe was one of four roadhouses planned by Henry George.
  • On the top of Cashmere Hill, there is an old stone building like a castle.  It is now used as a restaurant.
  • The building was constructed between 1918 and 1946, with the first section opened in 1920.
  • The Sign of the Takahe was abandoned until 1942.
takgif:
  • At the Sign of the Takahe, there is a pretty garden with stone sculptures and lots of flowers.
  • You can see lots of New Zealandís famous views from the Sign of the Takahe.
  • There were four roadhouses built - the Sign of the Packhorse, the Sign of the Bellbird, the Sign of the Takahe and the Sign of the Kiwi.
takahekids:
This page was made by Annie, Natasha, Melissa (back), Charlotte and Yui (front).

Back to Our Project

red_lh_logo: